Submitting a Complaint

There are two types of complaints: verbal and written. A complainant may make a verbal complaint if the complaint is minor and, rather than having the officer disciplined, you would like the employee talked to about how they performed or behaved. Written complaints are more formal and usually involve a more serious complaint.

If you want to file a complaint against a Police Department employee, you can contact a supervisor of the Portland Police Department. That supervisor will talk with you about the complaint, take a written statement from you if necessary, or refer you to the professional standards lieutenant. You may talk to the professional standards lieutenant directly by calling the Portland Police Department at 361-777-4444 during normal business hours. Once Professional Standards receives the complaint, it will be classified and the investigation will begin. Normally, cases take about three weeks. You will be informed as to the outcome of the investigation in writing.