Street Maintenance

The Streets division of the Public Works Department performs regular street maintenance and oversees the large, year-round road maintenance and improvements projects. These street improvements include rebuilding a roadway in some cases, while other streets will undergo preventative maintenance that can extend the life of an existing road surface. The City of Portland regularly surveys roadways to determine when repairs are needed and what type is needed per street, which allows the City to optimize its resources and schedule as many projects as possible. See the section below for information on the various types of road repair and improvement types. 

  1. Seal Coat Maintenance
  2. Mill & Overlay
  3. Full-Depth Reclamation
  4. Full-Depth Reconstruction

Seal coating is the application of asphalt emulsion, followed with an aggregate cover. This process can extend the life of a street from 7 to 10 years.

Reporting Street Repair Needs

To report an issue with the condition of a road, please call the Public Works office at 361-777-4601 between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please provide your name, address, contact number, location of the requested repair, and detailed information about the road and its condition. 

The City does cannot perform repairs to state highways. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) owns and maintains most of Wildcat Drive, Moore Avenue, and Buddy Ganem Drive. Maintenance repairs for those highways should be reported to TxDOT at 361-808-2201.

Residents of San Patricio County (who are not Portland residents) should call the county at 361-643-4390 for road maintenance issues in their area.