Make a home escape plan for the whole family before a fire happens, and practice it with the whole family twice a year. If you know what to do ahead of time, you have a better chance of escaping from a fire!
Check Your Plan
- Does everyone know two different ways out of each room? The first way is probably a door, and the second way out might be a window or another door.
- Do all windows and doors needed for escape open easily?
- Have you chosen a meeting place out front where everyone will meet? You want to be able to tell the fire department that everyone is out safely.
If a Fire Does happen
- Call 9-1-1 from a neighbor's house.
- Stay out. Don't go back inside a burning building for anything or anyone. Let the fire department do that--they have the training and the protective equipment to deal with the situation quicker and safer than you could.