- Development Services
- How to Apply For a Building Permit
How to Apply For a Building Permit
To begin the permit process, complete an application and email Building & Development Department at firstname.lastname@example.org along with any required documents.
Applications can also be picked at the City Annex building, located at 601 Moore Avenue.
For any questions, call the department at Phone 361-777-4550.
Building permits are issued in the name of the property owner(s) or licensed contractors performing the work. Generally, you will need to provide the following:
- A building permit application
- One Com-check (2009 Energy Code for Commercial) or one Res-check (2009 Energy Code for Residential)
- W.P.I.-1 Form for Windstorm Certification
There are four types of permit applications issued by the City of Portland. They are as follows:
If you are a submitting a permit for a New Commercial Building you will need to use the Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF).
If you are a submitting a permit for a New Single Family Residence you will need to use the Residential Building Permit Application (PDF).
Most permits will require a review process that may take up to 48 hours to complete for most projects. New residential construction permits can take up to 5 business days to process. New commercial construction permits can take up to 10 business days to process.
Please use the General Permit Application (PDF) for any of the following work:
Please use the Roll-Off Container Application (PDF) if a container smaller then 20 yards will be obtained and placed on a property.
Please use the Garage Sale Permit Application (PDF) for a garage sale.
- Please email application or come in person by no later than 4:30 p.m.
- Signs will be available at City Annex building at 601 Moore Ave. Portland, Texas 78374.