- Development Services
- Inspection & Certificate of Occupancy
Inspection & Certificate of Occupancy
Inspections are the third step in the building approval process. Inspections are required throughout the course of construction to verify proper materials and construction methods are being used. The contractor must request that the city perform the proper inspection at the proper stage of work. A final inspection is required before the city will release a structure for occupancy.
Contractors must request all inspections by emailing Development Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the Development Services Office at Phone 361-777-4550 no later than 4:00 pm for next business day.
Requests received after 4:00 pm will be scheduled for the next 2 business days.
Download the Portland Inspection Request Form (PDF)
Contractors are responsible for contacting the Development Services Office to inquire about inspections results.
Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is the final step in the building approval process. A CO is required for all buildings or structures that are to be occupied, including when:
- A new building is constructed
- A new use for a building or lease space is established
- The tenant or name of business has changed
When a tenant leases a new space, a new CO is required. Utilities will be released in the new tenant's name upon the issuance of a CO. View the Certificate of Occupancy Application (PDF).
The head of Development Services may, in writing, suspend or revoke a CO:
- When it is determined that the building or a portion of the building or structure is in violation of any ordinance, regulation, or provision of the building codes
- Whenever it is determined that the certificate was issued in error or on the basis that the incorrect information was supplied